The Rotachute Concept

For anything not in the above. Ground combat/personal combat. Anything to do with CS, but not already covered.
Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

The Rotachute Concept

Postby Thom » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:23 pm

This is one I had never encounterd before. During WWII the British employed an Austrian Helicopter designer named Raoul Hafner. From 1940 to about 1944 they experiemented with using the autorotational properties of an unpowered gyro rotor to drop people and equipment to the grounds more safely and accurately than a parachute could. This lead to some interesting test concepts!

For example the RotaJeep or Roatabuggy was a jeep that could be dropped from an aircraft and flown to the ground and then later towed home through the sky by a plane!

The Rotachute concept even encompassed a RotaTank though I find no evidence that the tank was actually tested.

From my point of view. . .

This concept would make for excellent zepplin escape/life craft! Imagine a rotachute big enough to carry 10 passengers or so!

I can also imagine this being used to silently insert operatives or drop smuggle in loads of contraband goods!

Unpowered and super cheap to the point of being disposable! Picture a RotaJeep dropping from a zepplin and then landing on a dark road at night, the roads only illumination being from the headlights of the waiting bootleggers cars. The Jeep lands, folds up it's tail rotors and quickly unloads it's hooch into the waiting vehicles then leisurely drives (without any damning evidence) to an airport to await pickup or a tow home.

*Laughing* Good fun!
Flying the Crimson Skies

setbb.com
PostsCOLON 70
JoinedCOLON Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:11 am

Re: The Rotachute Concept

Postby setbb.com » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:06 pm

THom Wrote
I had thought this would generate more interest

I thought it was cool!

FF5_MadMaxX Wrote
I think as personal hoplite variant for citizens it is a cool idea
but if i look on this pics this is not useful for aircombat to less armor.

Grant Wrote
It's interesting. And a good idea for some scenarios...ALthough a little 'Far out" for me. Looks too unfeasible (Sheesh..what am I saying...does a Hughes Devastator look feasible?)

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:01 am

If we expand this idea, I could picture and blister or pod, roughly a tad larger than an engine pod on the skin of a Zep, it would contain accommodations for roughly 10 with some food and blankets and should logically be water tight enough to float if landed on water. In more militarily oriented outfits it might be semi collapsible to save space. Simple and cheap, commercial carriers would quickly be required by their insurance companies to install them and before long aviators might feel that being assigned to a zep that lacked RotaChute Escape Life Boats (Rota ELB™) might be considered only as a choice of last resort, a potential death sentence!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Jester
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Western Australia

Postby Jester » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:46 am

I think the lifeboat application is the most logical use for the rotachutes in CS.

I'm not sure about mounting them externally as that would cause a lot of drag, perhaps some kind of fold down ramp they could slide off or simply a hatch they drop out of would work better. Another consideration is that they would be very slow, and so probably wouldn't move at all in CS games unless being towed.
4L3C - 4R3E

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Thats valid, they probably only have a glide ratio of 5 or 6 to 1 so they are not going to travel too far anyway. They would have to be streamlined to get maximum glide which is why I pictured them as being mounted externally, but I think you are right, even streamlined they would likely create excess drag.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to