Zeppelin producers in the CS universe

Got history/background for a region in CS? let us know. (Also includes re-interpretations of Canon if you wish)
Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Zeppelin producers in the CS universe

Postby Densoman2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:52 pm

Everyone I'm working on a source book for Africa and I need some ideas/names of zeppelin producers
from some of the other source books. Please share any that you have read from the other source books.

Thanks,
Tony

yahzuk
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Zeppelin producers in the CS universe

Postby yahzuk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:57 am

The only canon material that comes to mind is the Austin Aircraft Company in the Pride of the Republic book. If you're interested in some fan material, takea look at my zepp rules http://yahzuk2.angelfire.com/Zeppelins_052209.pdf

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:22 pm

I think that's all that's mentioned officially.

It seems like SOMEWHERE there was an Empire State company mentioned as well, but I don't know where it was....I know places it isn't, so maybe I imagined it.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:48 pm

There would of course be the German company "Zeppelin Luftschifftechnik" from whom all of that class of airship get their name. Still in business to this day, Zeppelin Luftschifftechnik will be 111 years old this March (2010). Founded by Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin when his patents finally became official in Europe and the US, the company was created to build airships of his design which he began developing way back in 1874. Zeppelin Luftschifftechnik has survived two World Wars and has built the great majority of all the (Real) worlds Zeppelins. I would say that in Crimson Skies, the odds are good that a great number of the worlds existing Zeppelins are still being built in Germany by Zeppelin Luftschifftechnik for sale world wide. Remember that during WWI, while officially neutral, Spanish shipyards continued building and delivering previously contracted warships to Germany even while the Spanish Govt was protesting the sinking of Spanish vessels by German submarines. It gives good me reason to think that Zeppelin Luftschifftechnik would continue to sell to any buyer with the cash.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Postby Densoman2 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Guys, thanks for the replies. I will use this information. Yahzuk I hope you don't mind if I make mention of some of the many zeps you have listed. If and when I ever get this project finished I will give you guys special mention for your help.

Thanks,
Tony

yahzuk
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Postby yahzuk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:24 pm

No problem. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:03 am

In America, the Goodyear-Zeppelin Corporation built Airships, Blimps, Dirigibles and Zeppelins in their Akron Ohio plant from 1917 - 1939. They had the massive Goodyear Airdock, built in 1929, it was the largest clear span building in the world for a long time. The worlds two largest airships ever made, The USS Akron, and the USS Macon, were built there for the US military in 1931 & 1933. It is probable that any "American" airships not made in Germany or France would have been made by Goodyear. Of course in Crimson Skies there will be more makers than the "Big Two"!
Last edited by 1 on Thom, edited 0 times in total.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:23 am

Wikipedia wroteColon The British Imperial Airship Scheme was first known as the Burney Scheme, after Sir Dennistoun Burney, who in 1921 proposed to Vickers, Ltd. the construction of commercial airships for establishing airline services between England and the colonies of the British Empire.

The North Ireland headquartered manufacturer "The Short Brothers" located in Belfast, built zeppelins and airships from 1908 to present day (Now a part of the Bombardier Group) for both the British Govt and for private companies. The Short Brothers built the famous R31/32 class mid sized rigid airships as well as a plethora of fixed wing aircraft (Many suitable for CS!). They continue to make commercial advertiser Blimps to this day.

William Beardmore and Company, Ltd. of Glasgow Scotland built British airships from 1908 until 1975 when they closed operations. They had many factories and built not only R27, R32, R34 & R36 airships, but also fixed wing aircraft, automobiles, trains, railcars and ships, both naval and merchant vessels. They were early pioneers of the "Diesel Electric" power systems, using diesel engines to produce electricity to power electric motors, a very efficient system that is still in use today, in fact becoming vogue with the modern "Hybrid" automotive systems.

Vickers the famous British engineering firm that existed from 1828 until 1999, built a variety of airships from 1929 - 1949. (Currently closed but owned by The Rolls Royce Group and expected to re-open next year.) Primarily design and prototyping, they are responsible for the (in)famous British R100/102/103 class/family of airships. They did not build that many airships themselves as factory space was limited and devoted mainly to firearms, trains, ships and submarines. Their working designs were passed on to other subcontracting manufactures to build. In our world only one R100 was ever built with plans construct more in Australia, Singapore & Canada. There is no reason why in Crimson Skies, Vickers could not continue to be a successful designer/builder using various subcontractors throughout the greater Commonwealth, perhaps even licensing a factory in Dixie.

Royal Airship Works Redesigned the R100 and built is as the R101, but with paranoia following a fatal crash in 1930, they failed to gather enough financial support to continue operations. A shame really as the R101, known as The Imperial Class, while a bit (OK a lot) too heavy, was a fine design that could have been quickly refined and improved. In Crimson Skies it could easily become the standard British airship. Larger than the R30/31/27/32/34/36 & 80, but smaller than the planned huge R103 & R104. (The R102/103/104 were never built in the real world but they would be fine for Crimson Skies.)
Flying the Crimson Skies

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:02 am

Airship Manufacturers of France. Aside from Germany, in the real world France probably produced the worlds second greatest number of Airships and Zeppelins.

Wikipedia wroteColonFounded in 1896 by Maurice Mallet under the name of Société Mallet, Mélandri et de Pitray, it was an aeronautical firm developing airships. In 1909, Mallet changed the name to Société Française de Ballons Dirigeables et d'Aviation Zodiac, as he was keen to establish his firm's presence in all areas of the conquest of the skies.

The Zodiac Group as they were known in English, is most famous for the 1930 design and construction of the world renown inflatable rubber boats and rafts. But they were once better known as an airship manufacturer, building numerous rigid airships, blimps and dirigibles for the US Navy, Imperial Russia and other nations. Sadly, two world wars have destroyed much of the information about what they accomplished, but their earliest military designs were for heavy bombers.

Astra Clément-Bayard built dirigibles and airships from 1908-1913 when they failed financially. Taken over by the Govt of France, they continued manufacturing military airframes under variety of names controlled by the French Army until WWII.

Sadly most records concerning the many French airships are just not to be found, suffice it to say they made very many in our world and there is no reason at all for that to be any different in Crimson Skies!
Last edited by 1 on Thom, edited 0 times in total.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:29 am

Imperial Russia.

While the Russians counted on France and Germany to make most of their Zeppelins and Airships, they did produce a handfull of their own with the help of an Italian engineering firm.

Soviet Russia.

The Reds produced several dozen of airships from 1920 through WWII. Secrecy has kept any real information (Aside from the fact they existed and their rough numbers) hidden from the free world. This gives the writer a pretty free hand to create manufacturers as he see's fit!

South Africa.

It has been hinted on other airship webpages that a private British company built (or began to build) at least one airship in Johannesburg, South Africa sometime in the late 1920s, with the intention of opening a route from Jo'burg to India. Aside from hints here and there, I have not been able to find any details at all about this or why they failed or if they even actually flew, but it does fit in with The British Imperial Airship Scheme and so should be usable for Crimson Skies.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to