Curtiss XP-55 Ascender

Made a plane? Bought one? Got a real oddball? Well let's see it.

Curtiss XP-55 Ascender

Postby Thom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:50 pm

It has long been quoted as the inspiration for Crimson Skies, this image in particular is said to have started it all. . .

The Curtis XP-55 Ascender was commisioned/contracted as the P-55 in July 1940 in response to a US Army proposal of November 1939.

It's first flight was in July 1943. Though early problems came up, it was ultimately successfull but the Ascender fell victim to politics and old school attitudes. It was dropped before it was fully developed, also, test pilots were restricted from pushing it to it's limits so the world never really found out what it could do. . .

Quote:
A special feature of the XP-55 was a propeller jettison lever located inside the cockpit to prevent the pilot from hitting the propeller during bailout.

Four .50 cals and it's performance curve make it perfect for CS if someone is willing to scratch it out.

Given the accelerated pace of aircraft development, Curtis Wright of Buffalo New York might be trying to sell these to the Empire state right now.
Flying the Crimson Skies
Thom

Re: Curtiss XP-55 Ascender

Postby setbb.com » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:13 pm

Grant Wrote
Although small(1.7" wide, 1.2" long). I found a place with XP55 Mini's.

http://www.dp9.com/Products/GKTAC.htm

Its a ways down the page. I thought about getting a pair along with a pair of Japanese Shindens(I would use the Shindens as a pair mini fighters BTN9 or smaller).

Phoenix made it here as the Bloodhawk MK II(Sorry Phoenix I renamed my J4. I had the name wrong from Canon):
http://www.setbb.com/crimsonskies/viewt ... imsonskies

I personally would (may soon) make a version in two versions.

Either A. A heavier fighter.
B. A light ultrafast fighter.

Ain't decided on the specifics....Probbaly be not ultra-speedy, but pretty maneuverable.
setbb.com

Return to Plane Hanger